R.B. Weeks Trailing Suction Hopper Dredge Launched, Expected Delivery in 2023
In the summer of 2022, Weeks Marine’s newest trailing suction hopper dredge, the R.B. Weeks, was launched by Eastern Shipbuilding Group, Inc. (ESG) in Panama City, Florida. The vessel is now being outfitted and sea trials will be conducted early next year; Weeks Marine anticipates delivery in 2023.
The R.B. Weeks is named in honor of Richard B. Weeks, a co-founder of Weeks Marine who was married to Magdalen Weeks, the namesake of the sister vessel, Magdalen. It is customary for Weeks Marine vessels to be named after members of the Weeks family or employees who have been with the company for a significant amount of time.
The R.B. Weeks is nearly identical to the Magdalen, which was delivered by ESG in 2017. The vessel includes an electrical power, propulsion, and dredge machinery package by Royal IHC, GE Tier IV engines, along with several accommodation and crew comfort upgrades.
“The R.B. Weeks will join her sister vessel in various dredging activities primarily aiding the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers to maintain ports, harbors, and other waterways to ensure ship navigation is possible,” said Eric Ellefsen, CEO & President, Weeks Marine, Inc. “These two vessels have an equivalent hopper size and pumping capacity, and we look forward to utilizing the R.B. Weeks, putting her to work deepening shipping lanes, nourishing beaches lost to erosion, and completing coastal restoration due to storm damage.”
The R.B. Weeks features the following characteristics:
- ESG Hull Number: 258
- Dimensions: 356’ x 79’-6”’x 27’-3”
- Designer: Royal IHC
- Main Engines (2): GE GE 16V250 MDC IMOIII/EPA Tier 4
- Main Propulsion (2): Wartsila CPP in Nozzles
- Reduction Gears (4): Siemens (Flender)
- Bow Thruster (1): Wartsila Fixed Pitch Tunnel Unit
- Main Generators (2): Hyundai
- Auxiliary Generator (1): GE 6L250 MDC IMOIII/EPA Tier 4 / Hyundai
- Emergency Generator (1): Caterpillar C18 IMOII/EPA Tier 3
- Classification: Lloyd’s Register, X100A1 Hopper Dredger, XLMC, UMS
- Flag & Regulatory: USA, USCG
- Hopper Capacity: 8,550 yd³ (6540m³)
- Accommodations: 26 Person
Click here to learn more about our equipment and here to learn more about our Dredging Division.